Besser kurbelwelle für die 650.

Dr_C

The Husaberg 550 and 650 are infamous main bearing killers. The culprit is the crankshaft, because it is weak and spreads to the shape of a banana when picking up revs. I'm planning on making a tougher crank. It will require you to remove the counter balancer. The left crank web will be thicker, to be able to hold the crank pin better. The right side will have a taller shaft to accomodate a second main bearing in the flywheel compartment. A spacer/bearing cage will be mounted at the right side and then OEM flywheel/stator/cover.

Crank, pin, bearing cage will probably cost 700€.

I'm not doing this with any commercial interest, just fix a known problem and make fellow Husaberg enthusiasts happy!

With this thread I just trying to see if there is any interest in such an improvement?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Cheers, folks! We did a lot of FE-simulations on the different possible crank modifications. All of them gave very small improvements. The modification I had my highest hopes for (thicker left hand side crank web), had a very small positive effect. So! That particular remedy has been put to rest. But, I will replace the main bearings instead. I will let the crank "swing free" and assemble it with spherical roller bearings (SKF 22206). The counter balancer will be removed and the left hand side bearing will be mounted in a steel bushing, placing the bearing close to the crank web. The same goes for the right hand side. I will put some pictures up, once I receive the hardware and/or get the cases machined.

Hmm... nice idea :)

So you go for the same Crank as OEM but with this special Bearings ?

Pictures Pictures Pictures :)

hej då

Well, it's not manufactured yet, but the CAD-models of the bearing steel sleeves look like this:

586fedfd78ff9_Nyttramlagerv228nster.jpg.

This is the left hand side bearing mount. I will drill some holes in the flange to help secure the steel sleeve to the crank case.

586fedfd871fd_Nyttramlagerh246ger.jpg.b2

This is the right hand side bearing mount. The large nut will help secure the steel sleeve to the crank case.

Edited by Dr_C

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet started it with this latest exhausts, less done any dynoing. All that is yet to come!

Thanks for cheering and sending those kind words! I haven't caught anyone licking the bike yet, but sometimes people place a chair in the pits and just sit there looking... ?

Skickat från min sk smartphone med pilligt tangentbord och irriterande spellcheck.

• 2 weeks later...