Safety Guards

kab-pro

As I am not a youngster anymore any track trauma remain three times longer than before. Some safety guards are definitely necessary more than before but from other side I don't like be as RoboCop with restricted movements. So I would be glad to hear your opinion about ORTEMA products. How good they are, how safely they absorbs impacts and so on. 

At the moment I am looking at X-pants, GP5 knee guards and GP3 elbow guards. 

What you can suggest.

For my part I thought about their products but landed at „Suicide Protection“. Markus produces hand made safety equipment, preferably made on your body data (he even prefers it to set everything up on you in his shop but that’s not a must). His stuff works nice, at least I haven‘t heard any problems with it till now.

For my part I‘m using a back and chest protector including small shoulderpieces and a neckbrace for MX from him. It’s easy to adapt for your body (I wasn‘t in his shop) on your own and you don’t feel it when wearing like a safety jacket from Leatt, for example. One time I wanted to take off the jersey but it got stuck somewhere....I forgot that I was still wearing the brace... :P

Some gear is a must, at least for me. You just have this one body and replacement parts are still not that good and often offered.

Haven´t heard anything bad about Ortema products. Just quite pricey, but that is only my opinion. On the other hand, how much hassle is it to limp around with ruptured ligaments or even broken bones suffered from a crash?

Regarding the elbow and knee protection, I personally would always invest in a high quality one piece leather suit, which already has soft shock absorbers built in. The Schwabenleder suit has these spaceshuttle type of foam protectors in it that are soft when they get up to body temperature, but will stiffen up on immediate impact. The technology in my suit is some 10+ years old so I am quite sure you´d be able to buy a suit with proper good protection for a little less money than I paid in 07. In the knee region the suit will obviously not prevent any awkward turning motion that will damage the ligaments. I was just talking about impact protection.